HELP! Sales tax info not importing to QB correctly.

Started by mbcarr1975, January 30, 2007, 10:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbcarr1975

I went to print out my sales tax liability report today to fill out the quarterly return and send in. The information I got out of the report makes no sense, so I have apparently not set something up correctly so the tax liability is not showing up correctly.

I have attached a PDF of my sales tax liability report. If I pull out the detail on the "Tax Reference" line, there are multiple orders in there on which tax was collected, but it is not showing up the the "tax Collected" column. The 7.75% tax item is calculated correctly, but the CA Sales Tax item is WAY high for the sales figures shown.

I am confused!...and in a bind, since I waited until last minute to file my return. I have never had a problem before so I didn't even contemplate this sort of situation!

Can you help?

Thanks

-Michele
Top Notch Gift

Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

qbsrox

Let me clarify a few things - that will help.

When using SuperManager, the Sales Tax Liability report will not work because the basic function of the Sales Tax module is bypassed - instead the Sales Tax is used as a line item on the sales receipt.

To find your sales tax liability owed - go to your Chart of Accounts and run a Quick Report - filtered for the date you need.  This will show you how much you have collected and is owed.

To get your Gross Sales, run a P&L and filter it for the time frame you need.  All the information is there, it's just in a different format than a normal QB user is used to.

Also - when you PAY the sales tax, code the check directly to the Sales Tax Payable Liability account - do NOT go through Vendors>Pay Sales Tax, as it will not work.

All of this is  you have it set up using the sales tax within the sales receipt as a line item.  The reason it was set up that way - QB's cannot override what the cart calculates.  If it comes in any other way you will have rounding issues.

Hope that helps a bit,
Rox :-)
Rox
Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor
www.consulting4qb.com

mbcarr1975

That info helped a lot!  Thanks Roz.

One question... When I run the P&L and filter it for the time period...and for taxable sales, I get ALL of the taxable sales. Now how do I filter out the sales that were Out of State sales? ...maybe there is an additional set up I missed in SM for OOS sales?
Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com

David Johns

Michele,

There is a quick way to get a quick look at your tax liability in SuperManager.  Rox may be able to further comment on the QuickBooks side and I will leave that to her.  But, in SuperManager you can see your tax liability using the following process:

With newer versions of The SuperManager a financial summary report was included in the installer, (1143 and later) but you will need to add it to your store settings:
1. Choose "View" | "Store Settings..." and go to the "Reports" tab
2. Click "Add" and call the report "Financial Summary"
3. With the Financial Summary report still highlighted press "Browse..."
4. Select the file "C:\Program Files\SuperManager\Financial Summary.html"
5. Change the "Type" dropdown to "Summary"
6. Click "OK" to close the settings

With the report installed this is how you would use it to get your tax liability for a specific date range:
1. Choose "View" | "Orders" to get to the orders page
2. Select the "SuperFilter" tab
3. From the "Filter" dropdown select "Date"
4. In the date pickers select the starting and ending date of the range you want to look at
5. Press "Go"
6. From the "Filter" dropdown select "Ship to State" or "Bill to State" depending on how taxes are accessed in your state.
7. Enter the two digit abbreviation for your state in the box next to the filter dropdown.
8. Click "Go" and select "From current list" from the dropdown
9. Select all orders (ctrl-A is the keyboard shortcut)
10. Right click on one of the highlighted orders and choose "Print Report" | "Financial Summary"

This will give you a report that will show the taxable sales for all the orders in your date range in your state.  It will also show you the taxes accessed and a sum of all the other totals in these orders.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
David
SuperManager Support
info@thesupermanager.com

mbcarr1975

Michele
Top Notch Gift Shop.com